Volatile Repository Applications

Hi,

Is it possible to move volatile applications to the main repository? For instance, Qiime 1.9.1 is in the volatile repository, but I would like to be able to use it without disabling auto-scaling.

Any insight?

Courtney

Hi Courtney,

Packages in the volatile repository have not yet been thoroughly tested with the latest version of Alces Flight. We are continuously working on getting new and updated versions of packages. Qiime v1.9.1 is not currently scheduled to be included in the next Gridware release that our applications team is working on, however we will add the v1.9.1 version of Qiime to the list of packages scheduled for future releases.

Enabling the volatile repository should not affect autoscaling - could you possibly provide some insight into what you’re seeing here and what actions you’re performing to hit the issue you are seeing?

Of course, if there are any other packages that you would like us to include in the future, just pop a thread in here and we’ll endeavour to include it in a future Gridware release!

Best Regards,

Thank you for the quick response.

That would be great if Qiime v1.9.1 could be included in one of the future releases of the Gridware. There are a few people in my organization using it now and I assume we will have more people in the future who will want to use it as well.

In regards to auto-scaling I haven’t run into any issues, I am solely going off your documentation. Under the Volatile Gridware repositories section it says: Users installing applications from the volatile repo should either ensure that auto-scaling is disabled for their user environment, or make use of Flight customization features to ensure that software package dependencies are resolved for new compute nodes joining the cluster after applications have been installed. So every time I have installed an application from the volatile repository, I disable auto-scaling using alces configure autoscaling disable. Are you saying I don’t have to do this since the volatile repository shouldn’t affect auto-scaling?

I will definitely do. Thanks for your time,
Courtney

Does anyone have any further information on this?